Castle Gardens Surgery

Castle Hill Gardens, Torrington, Devon, EX38 8EU

Telephone: 01805 623222

Sorry, we're closed

Surgery closed for GP and staff training from 12.30pm on Wednesday 21st June   ------  From the 1st February 2021 the Surgery will no longer be accepting cash as payments for prescription.  Payment by Credit Card and contactless payment only    


Patient Leaflet: Advice for Patients wishing to make a complaint (Revised Aug 23)

If you are not happy with the care or treatment you have received at Castle Gardens Surgery you have the right to complain, have your complaint investigated and be given a full and prompt reply.

You have the right to:

  • have your complaint dealt with efficiently and properly investigated.
  • know the outcome of any investigation into your complaint.
  • take your complaint to the independent Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman if you’re not satisfied with the way the Practice has dealt with your complaint.

Who should I complain to?

Most problems can be sorted out quickly and easily, often at the time they arise with the person concerned and this may be the approach you try first.

If you are unable to resolve your complaint in this way and wish to make a formal complaint you should do so, preferably in writing .

Your written complaint should be sent to:

The Practice Manager

Castle Gardens Surgery

Castle Hill Gardens

Great Torrington


EX38 8EU


Alternatively, you can complain to the local Integrated Care Board (ICB), NHS Devon.


Telephone:    0300 123 1672


Post:               Patient Advice and Complaints team, Pomona House, Edginswell Business Park, Oak View Close Torquay TQ2 7FF


Contact information can also be found on the One Devon website:


When should I complain?

As soon as possible ideally within a few days as this helps us to establish what happened more easily. In any event complaints should normally be made within 12 months of the date of the specific event that your complaint relates to, or as soon as the matter first came to your attention.


Who can complain?

If you are a registered patient or former registered patient, you can complain about your own care.


(a) where the patient is a child:

  • by either parent, or in the absence of both parents, the guardian or other adult who has care of the child;
  • by a person duly authorised by a local authority to whose care the child has been committed under the provisions of the Children Act 1989;
  • by a person duly authorised by a voluntary organisation by which the child is being accommodated

(b) where the patient is not able to make a complaint themselves, the complaint can be made by a relative or other adult who has an interest in his/her welfare.

Please be advised that we keep strict rules regarding medical and personal confidentiality. If you wish to make a complaint and are not the patient involved, we will normally require written consent from the patient to confirm that we are able to correspond and speak to you about the matter and the patient’s medical information.  If written consent is not possible then please discuss this with the patients Doctor or the Practice Manager.


What happens next?

  • We will acknowledge your complaint in writing, within three working days.
  • The Practice Manager will ensure that the complaint is thoroughly investigated.

Formal Response

Once a formal investigation has been carried out, we will respond to you in writing. The response will include:

  • A clear statement of the issues, investigations and the findings, giving clear evidence-based reasons for decisions if appropriate.
  • Where errors have occurred, explain these fully and state what will be done to put them right, or prevent repetition.
  • We will give an open and honest response and acknowledge mistakes.

Not happy with the Practices Formal Response?

If after receipt of the formal response you are still not satisfied with the outcome or explanation and do not believe you can obtain a satisfactory outcome by further discussion with the practice you can refer the matter to the Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman.


Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman,

Millbank Tower


London SW1P 4QP

Tel: 0345 015 4033


Can I get help to make my complaint?

If you feel you would like help to make your complaint support is available. Some people may decide not to make a complaint because they are put off by the process, find it confusing or believe nothing will happen. If you are thinking about making a complaint it is important to know that you have access to local advocacy to help you make your complaint and provide support throughout the complaints process.

An NHS complaints advocate is independent of the NHS and may help you write a letter, attend a meeting with you or explain the options available to you. This service is free to anyone making a complaint about their NHS treatment or care.


How do I find a complaints advocate?

  • Your local Healthwatch can help you find independent NHS complaints advocacy services in your area.
  • You can also contact social services at your local council and ask about advocacy services. Find your local social services.
  • POhWER is a charity that helps people to be involved in decisions being made about their care. Call POhWER’s support centre on 0300 456 2370 for advice.
  • The Advocacy People gives advocacy support. Call 0330 440 9000 for advice or text PEOPLE to 80800 and someone will get back to you.
  • Age UK may have advocates in your area. Visit their website or call 0800 055 6112.
  • VoiceAbility gives advocacy support. Call 01223 555800 for advice or find the contact details for your local VoiceAbility service.


Supporting people with a learning disability or autism

NHS England, the health, local government and social care Ombudsman services and others are leading a project called Ask Listen Do. This is about making it easier to give feedback, raise a concern or complain if you or someone you support has a learning disability, autism or both.

The Ask Listen Do webpages include information and films for autistic people and people with a learning disability, as well as families and organisations in health, social care and education.

Opening Times

  • Monday
    08:00am to 01:15pm
    02:00pm to 06:00pm
    (Dispensary 08.30 until 12.00, 14.00 until 18.00)
    [Improved Access 1800 - 2000]
  • Tuesday
    08:00am to 01:15pm
    02:00pm to 06:00pm
    (Dispensary 08.30 until 12.00, 14.00 until 18.00)
  • Wednesday
    08:00am to 01:15pm
    02:00pm to 06:00pm
    (Dispensary 08.30 until 12.00, 14.00 until 18.00)
  • Thursday
    08:00am to 01:15pm
    02:00pm to 06:00pm
    (Dispensary 08.30 until 12.00, 14.00 until 18.00)
    [Improved Access 0800 - 0830]
  • Friday
    08:00am to 01:15pm
    02:00pm to 06:00pm
    (Dispensary 08.30 until 12.00, 14.00 until 18.00)
  • Saturday
  • Sunday
NHS A-Z Conditions
Find Local Services
Live Well